@SuzetteLaboy on Twitter
Multiplatform bilingual journalist with extensive experience reporting and producing for television and digital platforms. Former breaking news chaser and one-man-band journalist. Founder, Former President of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists South Florida chapter.
Video Journalism. News Reporting, Producing & Writing. Deadline Reporting. Documentary.
Work on documentaries as field producer, researcher and post-production producer. Write news features for national publications. Shoot photos and video.
Reporter/Producer August 2014 – September 2015
Fusion Media Network Miami
- Reporter and producer for network weekly newsmagazine show “AMERICA with Jorge Ramos.” Also produced segments for anchor Jorge Ramos, including guest interviews and breaking news coverage such as the FIFA scandal to the conversation on the right to die.
- Reporter on “Specials Unit” documentary team, with highlights: Everglades Under Attack (Act 1, Act 2, Act 3, Act 4) and The Beat: Black, White & Blue.
- Producer on major projects including #HandsUpDontShoot and RiseUp.
- Reporter and producer on “Fusion Live,” a two-hour daily live news and commentary program for millennials. We followed a group of 20-somethings who CopWatch on the weekends in New York City and rode on an airboat with a young tribal leader in South Florida who showed us how water quality was affecting their traditions.
- Writer for Fusion’s digital site on major news events, such as the future of the U.S. Naval Base in Guantanamo Bay and how Saudi women are daring to drive in one of the most restrictive countries in the world.
- Worked on investigation, along with the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists and other media partners, on how the World Bank broke its promise to protect the poor.
Video & Print Reporter October 2004 – August 2014
The Associated Press Miami
I wrote, shot, edited and produced video for stories that ranged from the death of Anna Nicole Smith to the fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin to the aliens of the sea. I worked on an AP analysis on survival rates at SeaWorld and the Cuban Twitter investigation and covered everything from hurricanes to the Hispanic community in Miami, fashion shows to travel packages. I also supervised teams and produced multimedia packages on tight deadline to a worldwide audience.
- Wrote, shot, edited, voiced and produced video stories for national, breaking or spot news.
- Traveled to breaking news and report on deadline for AP television, radio and print.
- Supervised and coordinated news coverage with photographers and other reporters.
- Wrote print, broadcast and online copy while also producing news feature packages.
- Produced multimedia projects and generate story ideas for coverage that included enterprise reporting, from entertainment to lifestyle and travel.
- Handled all Spanish-language video content in Florida.
- Wrote daily broadcast copy on state news as Breaking News Supervisor.
- Managed The Florida Associated Press Broadcasters Board and state contest.
- Led audio and video storytelling workshops for print journalists across Florida.
- Coordinated stringers and reporters during elections.
Reporter & Producer May 2002 – May 2004
WRUF AM 850 Gainesville, FL
Produced and hosted award-winning news magazine show “Front Page on the Air,” a one-hour live radio program featuring local and breaking news reports. Produced daily newscasts and founded the independent segment, “Speaking Out.” Supervised reporters, coordinated daily news coverage, edited audio and scripts.
Reporter and Anchor September 2003 – May 2004
WUFT News 5 Gainesville, FL
One-man band reporter for the local TV news station based at The University of Florida. Coordinated live shots. Anchored newscasts and weather reports.
Investigative Producer – Internship May 2003 – August 2003
WTVJ NBC 6 Miami
Assisted award-winning investigative producer. Developed story ideas, conducted research while coordinating and producing interviews. Helped produce a story that won a 2004 Sunshine State Award presented by the Society of Professional Journalists.
University of Florida in Gainesville May 2004
Bachelor of Science in Telecommunication-News, Minor in Spanish
President of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists, South Florida Chapter, The Florida Associated Press Broadcasters board.
Fluent in Spanish – Reading, Writing and Speaking.
Shooting, editing and producing news and documentary video and audio reports for radio. Proficiency in Final Cut Pro & Avid, all video camera operations.